Mobility of Researchers (EURAXESS)

Logo Hr Excellence 


FAQ 876 55 35 81

Visiting Researchers Abroad

In case you were planning to carry out a research visit out of Spain, the kind of entry clearance will directly depend on your nationality and the country of destination. Below you can find a guidance on the most usual ones and information about medical assistance out of Spain.


If you are either a SPANISH OR A EUROPEAN CITIZEN, the free movement of european citizens will allow you to travel and work in any other european country with no visa requirement.


  • If the research visit will take place in a Schengen country, a valid Student or Residence Card issued by a Schengen country will be accepted by all other Schengen signatories. This means that a spanish Student or Work and Residence permit will allow your entrance in the other Schengen countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. However, please do not hesitate to contact the nearest EURAXESS Service Center to check if you need to inform the authorities of the destination country.
  • Please be aware of the particular case of the United Kingdom and Ireland. In spite of being European Countries, as these two countries are not signatories of the Schengen Agreement, if you are not a european citizen, you may need to apply for an Entry Visa in one of its consulates in Spain.
    • United Kingdom. Applicants are considered as "visitors" when travelling to the United Kingdom for less than 6 months, except for the case of Academic Visitors (up to 12 months), and won´t receive funding from any United Kingdom source. There are several kind of Visit Visas, being the most common ones:
      • Academic Visitor, suitable for researchers hired under a labour contract by an spanish academic institution.
      • In case of no contractual liaison with an spanish institution, the kind of visa to be applied for, will directly depend on the duration of your stay in the UK, your nationality, the funding institution and the activity to be carried out. More information. If you are PHD student, there´s a Tier 5-Point Based System (Youth Mobility Scheme).
    • Ireland. In case of studies or training in this country, you may need to obtain a Student Visa, type C for less than 3 months stays, and type D for longer stays. The irish government allows, in some particular cases, students to obtain a part-time work permit. In the case of researchers with a labour contract, they benefit from a special system, the Hosting Agreement Scheme.


Citizens from countries beneficiaries from the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), Spain among them, are enabled to travel to the US for tourism or business for 90 days or less without obtaining a visa, if they are not going to receive funding from any US source. Travellers with a nationality of VWP should attain before entering the US, an approval of travel through ESTA-Electronic System for Travel Authorization.

Although Spain participates in the Visa Waiver Program, even in the case of short stays, sometimes it´s the US host institution who requires a non-inmigrant Visa, to be applied for at any of the US consulates in Spain, existing different types of non-inmigrant Visas:

  • J-1. Exchange Visitor. This is the one appropriate for research stays, visitors taking up training or research in the United States under programs sposored by an educational or other nonprofit institution. (FPI and FPU fellowships, collaborative research projects, etc.). Spouses or children under the age of 21 willing to accompany the principal visa holder, may need to apply for a J-2 Visa, which will be linked to the principal J-1 Visa. The american host institution must provide applicants and its relatives with a DS 2019, required to apply for the Visa.
  • B-1. This kind of Visa is limited to the participation in scientific, educational or business conventions, conferences or seminars, provided there´s no remuneration from a US source, other than travel and maintenance expenses during the stay in the US.
  • H-1B. Temporary Work Visa for specialty occupations, requiring the alien to hold a bachelor´s or higher degree.

There´s an Euraxess branch in the US, EURAXESS-Links US, please do not hesitate to contact them if you need further practical information before travelling to the US.



There are EURAXESS branches in Japan, China, Singapore and India, opening soon in Brazil.

Please do not hesitate to visit the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs website to access information on:


The Spanish Ministry of Health provides information on "Sanitary situation per country" and find the International Vaccination Centers in Aragón.

Please click here to check the list of countries signatories of a double taxation agreements with Spain.